I explain to them that there is no clear cut answer to this question. However, by asking parents a few key questions, I feel it helps make the decision-making process easier.
- Has your child shown an interest in music?
- Does your child have an attention span to sit through and listen to instruction?
- Can your child see patterns and recognize “up” and “down”?
- Can your child recognize the alphabet from A to G?
- Is your child’s fingers physically developed enough?
- Will your child agree to practice daily?
- What other activities and commitments does your child have?
- Are you, as a parent, ready to give some assistance to piano practice at home?
The Music for Young Children program is an ideal program for students who wish to begin piano at a young age. It is a group program designed for different age groups. MYC was developed by Frances Balodis. She has taken into consideration different learning styles when developing this dynamic music curriculum – visual, auditory, Kinaesthetic, etc.